Please add any comments, questions or issues

Coordinator
May 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM
Edited May 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Thanks for the input!

Phil Brooks

May 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Hi Phil

How are you, I hope you are doing well. I am working on a strategy based board game in F# that requires using some A.I algorithms so I downloaded the source code for this project to learn some A.I techniques. However, I am unable to compile the project as FSharpChessWB and SharpChessUI projects require a reference to FSharpChessCode.dll which is missing. I also tried searching it over the internet, but can't find it. Can you please provide the missing dll. For a reference I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to compile this project. Although, there were some other references problem which I have resolved successfully.

I also downloaded the binaries of the project to run the EXE and see how good the program is. I am really amazed by the level of A.I of this game. I competed it against Deep Fritz 12 DL using the tournament time controls (i.e. 40 moves in 40 minutes) and guess what this program won the game. So the A.I is very good. That is a very good piece of work I have seen in F#. Although, program crashes occasionally and sometimes allows illegal moves, but overall it works fine.

Thanks

Shahzad Hassan

Coordinator
May 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Shahzad,

Sorry about this. The reference should be to FSharpChessLib. As you can tell this was developed some time ago and I have not had a chance to update it. It was developed using an early version of F#. There may be quite a few changes needed to get it to build in VS2010.

I should also say that this is just a conversion of SharpChess so there is no attempt to use Functional techniques. It was just an interesting challenge to get it to run in F#!

Good Luck!

Phil

May 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Hi Phil

Thanks a lot for the reply. All of the references are now resolved as per your suggestion and I am able to now build, run and debug the project using VS2010. Yes I realized that it was developed long time ago and it was a conversion of SharpChess. But it was a very good effort in F# even though its not using many functional techniques.

If you have got any plans to update this project then one thing I would like to mention which I have corrected is the layout of the chess board. The white square should be on the right. i.e. a1 should be BLACK and h1 should be WHITE.

Thanks a lot for your help once again.

Regards

Shahzad Hassan